Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Old Buck Cut


I hate...with a capitol H...HATE spending money on a haircut. But I know its a necessary thing that one has to do at times. My time was today. I went and splurged the 8 bucks and got it done. I am not sure why it bothers me so much to spend money on that and I know 8 bucks isn't alot to spend, as most haircuts are 15 bucks and up. But I am a guy who wont spend more than 30 bucks on a pair of tennis shoes. I know they wont last me but a year and I will have to break down and buy a new pair. Perhaps that's why I don't like spending money on hair cuts...because I know its just going to grow back in a couple of months anyway. I swear...If I knew I wouldn't look like a total dork, I would do it myself.

 I go to this place called Buck Kuts and this woman barber named Kathy is very nice and is also very much a chatty cat. This place looks more like a living room than it does a Barber shop, with a couch and TV and a few deer mounts on the wall. She cuts my hair in about 5 minutes...and if I was real honest...they usually look like a 5 minute hair cut when shes through. Sides are never even, and the next day I usually find hairs that were either to tough to cut with her scissors or she just missed them.  But it doesn't bother me because all I do is just brush it back anyway...kind of the "I just stuck my head out the car window going 90 miles an hour"  look.

As she was cutting my hair using the clippers, a few globs about 2 inches long fell onto my lap. I was SHOCKED. Not that I actually had 2 inches of hair...but of all the gray hairs that was in those globs. At first I thought that it was just the black cape making the gray stand out more than normal...that was until I noticed that the cape was actually light blue and white striped.  I just sat there staring at it and staring at it. I just couldn't believe it. Look, I know I am 49 years old and a little gray hair is natural for a man of my age....but there was more than a little...there was ALOT. How come I didn't see it in the mirror?  I don't mind growing old...I really don't...but when it just jumps out on your lap and screams "YOUR OLD" it just kind of sucks...you know what I mean?

I asked Kathy if the gray in long hair men stands out more than on short haired men. She said that if you keep your hair shorter it wont stand out so much until you have all gray hair and then it wont matter, it will look like gray no matter what. So from now on I will keep my hair cut short so the gray hairs don't stand out as much. That's good news right? Well she even gave me better news than that...she said that starting December 1st...all her hair cuts will be 5 bucks. Sweeeeet!!! That news put a smile on my face, and after I tipped her I told her in my best Arnold voice...."I'll be Buuuck"


3 comments:

Renee said...

Ha ha. Your are a dork cuz. A very lovable one, but still a dork!

taylor said...

"...kind of the "I just stuck my head out the car window going 90 miles an hour" look." ... OMG. SOOO FUNNY. Seriously, I was laughing OUT LOUD the entire way through this. haha.

ohhhhh, I love you dad :)

Anonymous said...

Clell - You have managed to age gracefully, no worries big bro! (Not to be confused with actually being graceful!) LOL

Love Reg