Sunday, February 19, 2012

Living the Dream

We lost one of the great singers of my era with the death of Whitney Houston. At one time I thought she was the best ever and there would not be a a better singer ever to come around. (Ok ...I was in my own little world when I thought that) But needless to say...I was very sad to hear of her passing. Music is such a vital part of our society that its hard for me to think of a world without it.
 Micheal Jackson brought me so much love and joy through his music, and it still brings me joy even today. I don't worry about their private life with what type of trouble they have been in or any accusations that were brought against them or even if they did drugs or not. None of that matters to me....I don't judge them as a person at all. I only judge their music on whether or not it moved me. There have been quite a few musicians in my life that have touched me deeply with their music. These are my favorites ...in no particular order...

BJ Thomas
Commodores
Steven Curtis Chapman
James Taylor
Shaina Twain
Faith Hill
Journey
Christiana Aguilar
Whitney Huston
Maria Carey
Boys 2 Men
Kenny Rodgers
Linda Ronstadt
Michael Jackson

There are probably a few more that should be on that list but growing up in the 80s era wont let me remember. :)   But all those above have produced music that moved me in ways that the other musicians didn't. Aside from a few when I look at the list...I can definitely say that I am a official SAP. I am a sucker for the ballads and Love songs. I think that is because I am a Pisces...as I said before..Pisces are Dreamers and I am no exception. When I listen to a good ballad, I am taken away to a place that only it can take me to. I cant go there with just my imagination. (mainly because it wanders to much)
I will admit though...I always wanted to become one of those people on my list.  But reality sets in at some point in those of us who know they don't really have what it takes.  But it doesn't stop me from dreaming about it. And that's what those people brought to me. A dream that is close to my heart.
 A dream that puts me on that stage and touching people with my music.  A dream that lets me have that power in my voice to move people to tears.

Have you ever listened to Whitney Huston's "Star Spangled Banner" that she sang at the Superbowl?  It was such a moving experience for all who watched that day. I still get goosebumps when I watch it....it was absolutely amazing. For that and her other great songs she sang....I will be forever thankful for her and the others on my lists.  Not just for being  Great Singers and musicians...but for the joy and dreams they bring me.


She not only touched me that day...she touched a country !! What a dream this one is !!


3 comments:

taylor said...

I remember thinking the same thing! "There will never be another person who can sing as good as her"

lol

Timberly and I would sing at the top of our lungs in the bedroom "I will always love you"... close our eyes, and pretend we were in "The Bodyguard"... then get yelled at by you and mom to "be quiet and go to bed" :)

I've got a long list of artists who are truly inspiring, we probably all do! Micheal Jacksons - Human Nature will always be my favorite by him.

I also remember you and mom had this old cassette tape Timber and I (I think myself, more than Timber) used to listen to over and over and over. It had a bunch of sappy love ballads on it from the 90's like "Always" ... ohh, the good ol' days :)

Amazing how music can change so much, yet remain the same... and how some songs can stick with you throughout the years no matter what.

Ian Ranshaw said...

Thats funny that you remember that...because you used to listen to it on that play toy of a tape player that you got for christmas one year. Its funny I dont remember yelling at you though. (it was probably MOM..lol...you know how she is with her super sensitive hearing and everything.)
And those songs that stick with you are truly the special ones for sure.

KS said...

For me:
Rob Thomas (Matchbox 20)
Faith Hill
Steven Curtis Chapman

I absolutely love gravelly-voiced rockers but you can't help but be in awe over voices like Whitney Houston's, Mariah Carey's, etc. Christina Aguilara, too - she's phenomenal!

PS - thanks for celebrating with me on the happenings over in This Little Life of Mine...I guess the blog name takes on a whole new meaning, huh?! :)