Monday, November 28, 2011

JOB 101

       Do you remember your first job? Mine was working at a gas station in my very small hometown of Hadley Michigan when I was 10. It was a real gas station...you know... the kind where you would pull up and someone would come out and pump the gas for you and while they were doing that they would also check your oil level? Wouldn't it be nice if that service would come back?
       Any way...an elderly couple owned this station and many town folk would come in the station for some hot coffee and town gossip. (another reason to bring this type of service back...I like coffee now :) I enjoyed going in there as well as a kid...even though it was a little intimidating with all the people in there sitting but we always got candy so it was worth the embarrassment. I always wondered if they talked about us when we left though.(they prolly did)
      Mark and Vira Earhardt owned the station and were just a wonderful couple who were loved by all. Vira obviously wore the pants in the relationship while Mark was more of a worker bee type. but both wonderful, caring people. I am not really sure how I even got the job....but I am pretty sure that I didn't apply...so I can only assume my mom or dad got it for me. My job was pretty simple...I would sweep floors and clean off oil cans that were stacked along the office. The station also had a Hugh garage area and it was just filled with car parts and tires galore. (which was also intimidating to look at as a kid)
     My first day I swept and cleaned...my second day was the same....and had I gone back on the third day...I am pretty sure I would have been doing the same. Well...I never made it back there. I just didn't show up for like four days. I wish I knew why I didn't but I cant really remember the reason. My Mom and Dad said" Don't you think you should call them and let them know that you quit?" Ummm...yeah I prolly should do that." I said. So around the 5th day of not showing up I finally got enough courage up to make that call and tell them. "Yeah you were fired four days ago" Vira said in her always cheery voice. Now...I was hurt. Did she have to sound so dang cheery when she said that. She could have sounded disappointed or mad. I mean who's going to clean all the oil cans? Who is going to sweep the pebbles and dirt up ?  Of course I am kidding...I would have called me up on the phone (yes we had those back then)  and fired me if I was them.
      I wished I would have had more coaching back then as to what to expect from a JOB. I had no clue what it was like to have a job...no clue as to what was expected from me (Besides the fact that I knew I was supposed to be there everyday)
But doesn't it seem like they should teach you that in school? Why not have  a couple classes to prepare children what it will be like in the real world. Prepare them on what to expect and what will be expected of them from their employer. Even as a 18 year old I didn't quite "Get it". I think I had the concept that you had to be there and at the end of the week you got a pay check. I had no clue as to what it would take to hold a job or excel in it. Most kids are so oblivious to the fact that it will take a lot of dedication and perseverance to be successful. Maybe that's just something that we learn through life...but man it just seems like we could do more to help our kids understand what its going to take to prepare them. Most people don't get serious about their job until they get married and have children or something significant happens in their lives. And then all of a sudden they think they are ready for a promotion. Ah...did you forget that promotions are based on the previous work that you have shown or the amount of dedication that you put forth prior to the promotion opportunity? I will pass thank you.

      I always think back on my first job and think....not bad things but good. Its good that I learned responsibility. Its good that I found courage...even if it was 5 days late. Its good that I learned that you have to start at the bottom sometimes. And its good that I quit that job....they sold the station 4 years later. :)

No comments: