Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Hunting Camp 2011

I'm Baaaaack !!  Its always great to come home after a week long stay in the woods with the guys.
Wait...that kinda sounds a little funny having said it like that so let me re-phrase that.
 Its always good to come home after a week of hunting with friends, (Yeah that sounds better.)
I came home with only a broken arrow for my efforts. No deer but plenty of good memories. And even better yet...I still have the stick. No one else got a deer either so I get to keep it until someone does.
I had many beer...oops I mean deer come in but it was always after dark. (deer are so smart)
My brother brought up his digital game cams and he let me set them up at my hunting spots.Here are a few that were taken.

We had many great meals fit for a king and we feasted. Why is it that everything tastes so much better when its cooked outside? We had potato soup that I made  that was out of this world good,(even if I am saying so myself) we also had steak  and potatoes over the fire, and breakfasts with all the fixins. Oh...and the fires....picture a normal sized campfire and then multiply it by 10 and you are still underestimating the size of fires that we sit by at night. We only use pine stumps that are dead or were burnt down during during a forest fire many years ago. We always pick out one really large one for the last night we in the woods. This year was no exception. My Brother Scott is considered the fire master and he is always the one who gets the fire roasting hot. The flames dance all over the pine and it is a treat to watch. (In case you were wondering why pine?...well there is sap in pine and it is quite flammable)  So if your ever lost in the woods and need a fire...look for pine because it will start with a match.
I even slept by the fire one night...and no...I chose to ...I didn't have to...in case you were thinking that I drank to much and couldn't make it to my trailer. The fire was hot and felt so good...that I went and got my sleeping bag and enjoyed the rest of the night by the fire. I woke up and looked up at the bright beautiful twinkling stars as the coyotes howled in the background....it was like ...going home!!
What a Great trip !! 

3 comments:

taylor said...

awesome! love the pics! Glad you're back, safe and in one piece, and that I get to see you this weekend! love you!

KS said...

I'm so jealous I almost cried while reading this. That sounds SO FUN! I grew up in a camping family back home in Michigan...it's still the most relaxing vacation if you ask me. My prissy husband, unfortunately, won't even entertain the idea so I haven't been in YEARS. Boo.

LOVE the pictures - so cool!!

Ian Ranshaw said...

I keep forgetting that you are from Michigan Karen. Maybe your husband had a bad expierence with camping and thats why he doesnt want to go....maybe? Or maybe he is just prissy...LOL Either way...his loss on such a great expierence right?