Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Can I be Frank?

So what I am about to tell you is something that I just need to get off my chest.  I thought long and hard about whether or not to blog about it. I decided to do it for a couple of different reasons, first , to write something personal about myself, and second, because I had no other topic. :)
The other day I saw the picture above.  I think I was about 5 or 6 years old. I am sitting atop of a tank that was at this military museum or something in Maryland where my Aunt and Uncle lived. Every time I see that picture it reminds me of what I am about to tell you.

I was molested when I was a child by my Uncle Frank. God that feels weird saying that. (he is not alive any more so he got what was coming to him)  But I have always wondered how many other children he did that too. Did he do it to his own children? I have never got up enough nerve to ask my cousins, probably because I only see them once a year at the family reunion if they show up (or if I show up). I was even molested by some of my babysitters, that would take me into the closet and feel me out. I mean really...WTF? What would a child of 5 or 6 have that they would want to feel? These girls were like in their 20s or even 30s.  All I can think was that they were molested too and this is what they knew.
My Uncle Frank (which I hate even admitting he is my uncle) was in the military and was a strict father.  But when we would go over to spend a night and play Batman and Robin with our cousins...I would somehow end up in his lap after everyone went to sleep.I dont know how...but I did.
 I remember him kissing me so hard that my lips hurt. And his stubble on his face poked into my skin like thorns from a rose bush. I remember just not knowing what to do and staying very still, not moving an inch ...I literally felt like a piece of meat. I knew it was wrong what he was doing to me but I had no idea why he was doing it, and I was scared.

I always wondered what kind of impact that had on me, and I think I know now. It made me shy away from being able to show affection to my children and in some ways... to anyone. I always felt like I could not hug on my children the way a Father should, in fear of them having some sort of thought that I was molesting them. I was fearful of them thinking that, can you imagine? I remember times when my daughters would come sit on my lap and I felt uncomfortable about that , all because of that fear.
Aside from stealing some of my fatherhood....they stole some of my childhood innocence. Oh how I hate them all for doing that!

I tried to not let it effect me as I grew older, and for the most part, it didn't.  I do remember seeing Frank in his wheelchair (from a distance) after he had developed Alzheimer's  and I recall thinking to myself....oh yeah...now the Bastard cant remember any of the terrible things he did to children.
 The bastard!!

By the time I grew to my twenty's and thirty's I had blacked it out from my memory and never mentioned it to anyone except Kim. I figured that if I didn't think about it then it never happened. That worked pretty well for me for the most part. I had opened up one day and told my family about it, and after that day I felt better about it and it didn't seem so dark anymore. It was mainly due to my Brothers who would made jokes about it. The main joke came when one of them put their hand on my leg and said with a very serious look on his face "Can I be Frank?"
I laughed aloud because it was pretty funny. (cmon, even you chuckled a bit didn't you?)
 I have come to terms with all of the past...but will never forget what that did to me as a man. I have such a hate towards pedophiles that if I had a choice with what to do with them once they were caught....I would give them the death penalty....the worst kind imaginable...boiling. :)  That's just something that I will never understand....why anyone would want to do any type of sexual activity with a child...I mean...I just don't get it. They have got to be Mentally Disturbed.

So now when my brothers ask me "Can I be Frank?" I always say, "well you have got the pervert part down pretty well."
 I am a firm believer in "What goes around...Comes around" so I really think Frank is paying his debts to the devil right now. (Not a very Christian thought, I know...but that's just how much I despise this man)

So OK, I am posting it...Now it is no longer one of those dark secrets you keep in the closet (no pun intended) And now you know something that only my readers will know about me. Aren't you Special?

3 comments:

taylor said...

It boggles my mind - to think that you feel as if they stole part of your fatherhood. I know you have told us this before, but looking back on growing up I don't ever remember feeling as if there was a lack of affection from you. You always hugged us and kissed us goodnight and goodbye, and not once did I ever feel turned away or rejected. While the thought makes me utterly sick to my stomach, I can't imagine how this experience would affect someone. What's most heartbreaking to me is that you (and anyone who has experienced this with no one to turn to) never SAID anything to anyone about it. But maybe that is why you and mom always instilled a great path of communication between us (I specifically remember our conversations about this topic when I was young) and I always felt like I could tell either of you anything. Thanks for sharing such a personal experience... love you dad!

Renee said...

I'm sorry cuz. And, no I didn't laugh. I'm glad you are strong enough to get past it. It took guts to share this. I couldn't do it. You are a very brave! Love you lots, Nay

Pauline Loy said...

Although my heart aches for the little boy that endured this tragedy, your willingness to share such a personal experience says a great deal about who you have become as a man. It is not easy to overcome such events, and honestly, the memories will always be there no matter how badly we would like to forget. If there can be a silver lining behind such things, it would be that those memories remind us of who we do not want to become. We remember the thoughts, feelings, emotions, etc., from those experiences and with them come other thoughts, feelings, and emotions that do one of two things...they either help us or hurt us for life. Too often the result is a repetative vicious cycle of the same. It is evident by your daughter's comment that you have done a very good job to not repeat the cycle. Not only that, but you have raised your children with love and affection producing good memories. That takes great courage and strength...even if you did have doubts about parenting and such.
My method of torture for pedophiles would be skinning alive with various forms of adding "salt to the wound" so to speak.
I've learned that what doesn't break us makes us stronger. I have been blessed by your friendship as I am sure everyone who gets to know you would say the same.
Thank you again for sharing (even if you did make me cry).