Monday, July 25, 2011

They ARE Family

We all Love our pets...right?  And most of us have experienced the loss of at least one pet. It never ceases to amaze me how much our pets can change our lives. When I got home today, my brother Dale was there to bury his long time pet Max. They had to put him down because of a tumor that was surrounding his bladder. Max was a Beagle, springer spaniel mix. What a terrific mix of breeds. He was so gentle and loving and obedient. Whenever you fed him he would ever so gently take it out of your fingers. (as opposed to my dog that will take the food and your fingers in one gulp). Max would go to his bed when he was told. He could even rest a piece of food on his nose until Dale told him to get it (I mean he would not move at all) I'm talking for like...3 minutes if Dale waited that long before telling him to "Get it". What more could you possibly want from a Pet?  Pets change us somehow. They make us a more loving and fun people. Pets should make us realize that being trusting, Loving, and obedient is really not just a dog trait...it also a Godly trait  too. If we can trust in God, obey God, and Love the way he loves...I mean....That's all he asks isn't it?     :)
 
In my household we cherish our pets as much as we cherish each other. And in case you didn't know....that's a whole lot of cherishing. We now have 2 dogs, 4 cats, and now 1 bird (Thanks to Taylor)...but we could not love any of them more than we already do. I have had to bury 2 of our Pets. My first dog Levi who lived 16 wonderful years and blessed us with a whole lot of barking and blessed 2 people with bites to their ankles. (Yorkie mixes are a little snippy sometimes) And also our first cat named Moses. He was a very LARGE cat....which was a little ironic to how he actually died. And when I tell you this... try not to laugh..OK? Here goes ...he was closed in the hide away bed in our basement sofa....I know...I know....your asking how in the heck did that happen? Right? Didn't the cat screech or anything? Truth is...no it didn't.We didn't hear anything and it was under a blanket that was spread out and we never saw him when we closed the bed up. We thought the cat ran away for like a week. That is.....until Kim and I were laying down on the sofa watching TV and I said....what the heck is that smell....yeah... I think you know what happens next...I unfold the couch and I saw him...and immediately I told Kim to leave...and at that point she knew too. So....although the way the cat died was nothing short of unique...and yes even a little funny...(allot of jokes have come from it since then)....but at the time it was  still very difficult to lose our pet especially knowing that we are the ones who killed it.

We cry and mourn whenever we lose pets(no matter how they pass) because they are (as we all say) "They are like family" and the reality of it is...They are Family!!  They live in the same household as us, they love us, argue with us, they eat with us, and they also sleep with us. the only difference from our family is ....we choose our pets...and that means we choose to love them too. That means taking care of them even when they cant take care of themselves. (just like we do with Family) So as we say goodbye to our longtime furry or feathered friends...we also say thank you for enriching our lives and teaching us what is really important to life....Love !!!!!




No comments: