Monday, March 21, 2011

I have a Dream




I finally did it. What you say? I started running...woot woot !!  It sounds good just saying it.  Starting anything for me is always the major stepping stone. So I am super stoked about the fact that I did it.
I started on Sunday afternoon and went for a quick jaunt. (quick jaunt= run until you get really tired)
So I now know that I can run approximately 100 yards before my legs start on fire...ok it feels like it anyway.
But I did what everyone does when they reaches that point....I stopped and gasped for air. But I have noticed that once I catch my breath, I can continue running farther than I did the first time.
I have a Goal this year to run in the Bobby Crim Race. The 10 mile race.Now keep in mind that I have never ran more than a mile in my life. I keep asking myself why I want to do this...and to be honest...I have no clue. I guess its just I want to do something that I would normally never do...but I also want to put myself in a position to either push myself above my limits or quit....just to see which one I will do.
I do have this incredible respect for runners. Especially marathon runners. The dedication and just plain stupidity it takes to run a marathon is nothing less than incredible. 26 miles...are you kidding me? I cant even run 1 mile without stopping and those people run 26 non stop . And, they actually run....I jog....my version of jogging is......fast baby steps....my legs really never lift off the ground more than 2 inches...and somehow I can feel off my fat bounce towards gravity with each step. But I must push myself farther each day if I want accomplish my goal. So today I went farther than I ever have before...and I am beginning to think that I can really do this.And I am also starting to feel a little bit better about myself. Gaining weight during this winter has not done alot for my ego. So hopefully I can get that back in the process of reaching my goal.
So yes...I have a Dream...a dream of me running and being fit. Its either that or I am just Dreaming period. But I will find out in August. And you will see either a picture of me on ground wailing because I failed or you will see one of me holding my medal in my hands with a hugh smile on my face. ...Yes...I have a Dream !!!!

1 comment:

Felice said...

Wow little brother, I had no idea. Tell you what, I will be waiting for you at the finish line with a bottle of water, a big hug with tears in my eyes, and even a helping hand to help you get up off the ground (if you need one). You are my inspiration.