Saturday, March 5, 2011

Doing the White Dance

                                              
So I was looking at my last blog and saw the picture of the old man dancing  and it made me remember the last wedding reception I was at.
I remember watching the people dance and having a good time. But I also remember saying to myself...."Wow...white people can't dance"
I will say this now....I cant dance....therefore I don't. Which makes me the perfect person to criticize other fishes out of water. I seen so many people out on the dance floor that looked to me like they were so uncomfortable dancing. They seriously were painful to watch.

I watched a particular couple for awhile and I was paying close attention as to what moves he was doing. But I also noticed that he was stealing the moves from his wife. As soon as she started to do something with her hands...he would do something similar with his hands. She does a spin move..Johnny Fever does a spin move. I could tell that she knew it and I even thought I seen her chuckle to herself. It was like he was her puppet. This went on for the whole song, so I was amused.



Next song ....I see a young guy and his gal come running on the dance floor, because apparently this song  was their favorite hip hop song ever. They immediately started bumping and grinding to the rhythm of the beat, and quite well at it I must admit. But by 30 seconds into the song they were so pooped out that they went back to the lazy white people style of dancing...and still very awkward. So just when I had hope for the white man...they let me down.
There is always one guy at every reception that really thinks he is gods gift to the ladies and he wants to show off his Johnny Fever School of Dance moves that he just learned in class last week.
He tries to impress and fails every time...hes the kind of guy you almost feel sorry for because you know he is just trying to find a Lady friend who will love him for who he is.....once he figures it out himself....he may just find one  . And you are rooting for him to find the lady of his dreams in hopes that she tells him that he is not a dancer. :)

I know they are just having fun and I also know I cannot dance any better and probably worst than they do especially in the awkward department. But at least I know it and like I said before....that makes me an expert. But if you ever stop to actually watch the average white person dance, its just too comical.


I know people have gotten into dancing alot more in the last few years with shows like Dancing with the Stars and So you think you can Dance. And I for one am glad that dancers (in the true sense of the word) have a platform to showcase their talents. I used to watch So you think you can Dance and was in awe with some of the things they can do. One dance actually brought a tear to my eye. It was magical and one of the most beautiful expressions of a song I had ever seen. The talent and discipline that it takes to be a great dancer or even a really good dancer is absolutely phenomenal. They make it look so effortless and easy. The show made me realize what dancing is all about....expressions of who you are and your interpretation of a song.

And I can only assume that the average white man lacks expression because our interpretation of any song lacks feeling. The only interpretation I get from white people dancing is that we are lazy and just want to party and we don't care what people think about it. Oh...wait....That is who we are.  Maybe we are really good dancers then. :)

No comments: