Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sing


It was in the 7th grade when I had my first real expierence with singing. I had a choir class in a mobile unit just outside of E.T.White Jr. High School with a little Jolly ole lady named Miss Kalinquin. She was always smiling and saying nice things to people, but you always somehow knew that she had a mean streak and if you raised its ugly head, things would get nasty really quick. Her voice was very loud and raspy, like she smoked a few years to long. One thing that she always did was walk up and down the middlie isle and encourage the kids to sing loud and proud. When she walked by me she moved in close to me and listened for a moment (Of course I sang louder at that moment) But she stood back up and said "Wonderful" and continued on her way. It was that moment when I decided that I was going to be a singer.  I guess that happens when your head swells at a increasing rate like mine did at that moment. In reality, she could have been speaking about something other than my voice but I always thought she was talking about me. And it also changed my life I think. I couldn't imagine a life without singing in it. And she made me want to sing.


Second one down on the left is me.

I sang in high school every year in both Choir and Choiralairs which was a group of the best singers and we performed at different functions and things. It was like a Glee group if you watch TV at all. Needless to say I always had fun in both classes because we were singing and when I sing, I am happy. It was my Junior year when I auditioned for a traveling Band and Choir called Musical Youth International. It cost like 100 dollars to tryout and it took place in Saline Michigan , about an hour away from where I lived. I auditioned and made both the choir and Band but I would later quit the band and only sing with the choir. We traveled to Australia my Junior year and we went to Spain and Africa my Senior year.
I have to thank my parents for allowing me to go on these trips, I know we really couldnt afford them but they knew it was important to me and they did what they had to do so that I could go.


Brian Murrell

Inside the Famous Opra House.


This trip was so much fun I couldn't tell you everything we did on it.  But lets just say that I am thankful that I am still not in customs explaining the zip lock bag filled with weed. I had plenty of good times with my buddy Brian,  a drummer in the band. Our biggest claim to fame is that we smoked out of a one hitter inside the Sydney Opera House. I am not positive but I am pretty sure that we are the only ones in the world who can say that we did that. (Im sure my parents would be so proud) But it was fun non the less.  We sang in some of the most awesome cathedrals in Austrailia and Spain..I mean hugh buildings with super high ceilings and the best accoustics you could imagine.We sang everyday at some function or other...sometimes 2 or three times a day...depending on how far we had to travel to get there. The bus rides were never fun. But everything you look at outside was new so it distracted you from the boredom of the ride.
Our first place we stayed at, was the Olyimpic Training Centere in Africa, for one week. Sounded really cool right...well, it wasnt for most. Once people saw what type of bathroom that they had to use...oh my!! Basically it was a trough with a few holes in it for the waste to go into. The bitching started and it was up to the President of the group to call a meeting to calm things down. Did I tell you that I was President that year? Yeah...so I basically had to tell them that acting like this was not a good way to show that we appreciated their hospitallity. "We represent the United States and We must act like good ambassadors for them" I think once I said that...they calmed down and relized what little babys they were acting like. After that I think they really enjoyed themselves (except when they went to the bathroom). I traded the shirt off my back for a silver medal from a javlin thrower that I roomed with. (I thought that was kinda cool) My first barter I ever made and I lose the shirt off my back. Nice !!
MYI was founded in 1964 by Dr. Lester McCoy whom I never met. But his achoholic wife was a dear old lady who ran things after Lester passed away. She was a hoot I must say....I think the picture says it all. Bless her heart.

Mrs.Lester McCoy



After high school I sang at churches and weddings, I even did a small group that we called "4 the Cross"
We sang at alot of different functions. The four of us hooked up after we all did a musical together that was a real big success.It was called Two from Gallilee.  A Love Story between Mary and Joseph in which I played Joseph. There were live animals in the play too. (Kinda cool...just sayin) But I was glad we all hooked up after the play was over because there is always something about 4 part harmony that makes me smile. :) And we were pretty darn good. I think we stayed together for 4 yras or so.
One of my biggest moments came when I got to sing the National Anthem at the Flint Generals game.There was over 5000 people there. I was so scared I almost forgot the words..I was rehearsing the words to the song minutes before I was going on and it went someting like this....What so proudly we hailed at the twilights last gleaming......"Oh shit not again"...what is it what is it?....I never did get them in my head before I went on, I was just hoping to God that they would just come to me naturally and they did ...whew....so thats one reason I did not get down on Christina Aguilera for screwing up the words at the Superbowl. I came very close to doing the same thing.And I totally understand how someone could do that.Luckily for me it went well and everyone cheered and away I went. I cant begin to explain what a high you are on after doing something like that. You feel all rockstarish and your ego is at its alltime biggest. That is until your wife says.."Honey, go warm up the car so we can leave" That kinda lets you know that your 1 minute and 32 seconds of fame is over. Back to Reality
Singing will always be a part of my life no matter if I am singing for someone or if I am singing to myself .(which is all the time). (if you are around me long enough you would know that is true). 

I never thought I was good enough to become famous but the the thought of how nice that could be, never left my brain. Music is not only the universal language, it also has a way of influencing your perception of emotion. Powerful stuff. And to be able to touch peoples lives through music...Priceless !!


No comments: