Sunday, May 19, 2013

Breaking News

We made the news !!  Each year we try advertise about the Timber Ranshaw Memorial Walk as much as we can. One of the things we do is go on the Local news and do a brief shout out about the walk. I am usually a nervous wreck before the interview...but once we start going I'm alright. Anytime I have to speak in front of people I don't know, I usually go over what I am going to say in my head as many times as possible. Its a little hard to do this when your sitting in the studio as they are actually doing the news....I kept watching them and actually getting into it. I was trying to read the prompter to see if I could do that job.....I couldn't. The news people in the studio were very nice and chit chatted with us during the commercials. But the BIG News happened the day before the broadcast.

Kim and her friend were moving tables from a friends pole barn. (I was working...just so you don't think I was slacking) But anyway...long story short....she fell down the stairs and broke her foot.
She broke it pretty good according to the ex-rays she brought home with her. She even said she heard a snap. So ...when I came home I got the crutches down from the rafters in the garage. I guess you kind of take it for granted thinking that everybody knows how to use crutches. Ummm....not the case for Kimmy ....She was like a fish trying to walk....on cement....in Arizona....during a drought.
It was really just painful to watch....so I tried to give her lessons on how to lean on the crutches and swing your body forward. She didn't get it right away...but I figured she would pick it up pretty quick. Fast forward to the next day....the day of our news interview. She got up early and went and got her boobies smashed all by herself so I just figured she got the hang of it and was able to make her way. She got home and immediately we left to go pick up the tee shirts and Hoodies for the walk. And then made our way to the TV station. Now here is where it gets sad...I take her purse and a new shirt that I grabbed that she was going to wear for the interview and carry it for her, we get about a third of the way to the door (which was only 15 feet or so) and the next thing I know...DOWN GOES FRASIER....I turned  just in time to see her headed towards the ground. For a split second I thought she was going to maintain her balance....but no...she didn't. She held on to the crutches way to long and basically landed on the ground on her belly. I was stunned because I couldn't do anything but watch it all happen. At first...I thought that she might have been laughing about it all. But that thought was quickly removed when I seen the tears in her eyes. She sat there bawling saying "I cant do this".
It was like her last bit of strength was laying there on the cement and she hadn't the will power to retrieve it. My heart sank and I really did feel sorry for her. When ever something tragic happens...I always feel the need to be the person who lifts you up and say something stoic to bring back whatever it is that's lost. So in this case I said " Put your Big Girl panties on and lets do this". That was a line I stole from Timber....but it worked.....she reluctantly got up and cried herself into the studio office. I didn't know this at the time but she also landed on her hand which is now swollen and all black and blue. A woman from upstairs come running out and asked if she was OK. She said some people saw it all happen and called her....she said that she saw it on surveillance video. Luckily Kim was in the bathroom at this time and didn't hear that she had an audience watch her incredible feat. What else could go wrong on this day? Oh yeah...The new shirt I grabbed for her didn't fit. Really?  Oh well...we will just roll with what we got right?  The long walk (long hop in Kim's case) was painful to watch as she exerted every effort she had to get to the studio which seemed like a long ways away....and come to find out....it is a long ways when you only take 6 inches a hop. So after all that....here's the interview. The interview is usually twice as long but we were cut away early for some reason....it didn't break my heart (pun intended) as  long as people know when the walk is.

Timberly Ranshaw Memorial Lupus Walk
 http://www.abc12.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=8890872

She was quite the trooper if you ask me. Now ....she WILL have a wheelchair for the event because I would rather break both my feet than to watch this woman use crutches.

No comments: