Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Its Just a Name


        Today I had a something funny come to me via email. I had requested a new person be sent to the shop to start on 3rd shift. I received an email from one of persons from the staffing company (whom I adore every one of them there) anyway...they stated that they found a person for me and he will be starting tonight. (No that's not the funny part) The funny part was the name of the person who they were sending. Well the first name I was given was "Snow Storm" but then another emailed followed saying "oops I mis read the name...its really Storm Snow" (I know...not much worse than the first in terms of thinking funny things to say about it.)
       All I could think of was "Why in the heck did they name him Storm?" Out of all the cool names there are to choose from...they picked  Storm (which is a cool name too...unless your last name is Snow")
       I am really eager to meet this guy and see what kind of sense of humor he has....and no...I would never tease him about his name...I'm sure he has had plenty of that already. And as they say on all infomercials " but wait theres more"....I also found out that...get this...he went to White Cloud High School and lived in White Cloud Michigan. (oh the irony)
I just cant help but wonder...if the parents were being cruel or funny. I would like to think that they were being funny....but how cruel is it to be so funny ? If you look up funny names on the Internet....you will see that Storm Snow is not as bad as some of those on the lists.

       I suppose all kids get made fun of at sometime in their lives about their name. You can make fun of just about any name if you want to be cruel...and most kids are cruel at some point during adolescence.
      I was called Ranshog when my name was Ranshaw....I was called Clellbert because my middle name is Clell. (Named after my grandfather Clell Ranshaw) I was even called Lyin Ian even though I never Lied...besides a few times that I was trying to protect the innocent....me.

     When naming our kids ...I know that I thought of how kids would make fun of the names we picked out. So I tried to rhyme them with other words and if I found one that I thought that kids may think of...it was ruled out. (can you say "over protective father") But at least I had their best interest in mind. We named Taylor after my all time favorite musician James Taylor. I always had the hopes that she would learn to play guitar so I always left my guitar out and one day she picked it up and it was "game on"....she learned quite fast and still teaches me things to this day.
Timberly was named because all we had were boys names picked out....and Kim picked the name and ... after I said to myself.....Timber Timber bo bimber banana nana fo fimber fe fi fo fimber Timber. " I Love it " I said.

      Having children is a blessing that some people in life don't get to experience....so picking out a name should not only be a honor to do so...it should be a honor for the child to have that name. So the least we can do as parents is to put some thought to it. I really hate to criticize...and far be it from me to criticize other people (I do not live in a glass house)...but if you really look up "funny names" you will see that there are some parents who really do need  some criticizing"


1 comment: