Sunday, February 12, 2012

Chef Clell

Every other weekend we bowl with our partners Mike and Suzie. We also have dinner with them afterwards. We used to go out to a local restaurant but this year we started to have dinner at their house after we bowled. I am not sure how it happened but the deal was that Suzies Mom would make dinner and it would be ready by the time we got to their house. (And she is a great cook by the way) My end of the deal was that I was to make dessert. And being the fine chef that I am (Chef Clell is what Kim calls me when I am cooking) I was all about that.

I started with apple pie and I did that for a couple weeks...Suzies dad loves apple pie...and I was all about pleasing his pallet. I wanted to change it up so I made a Chocolate tart with raspberries and almonds. The next week I made a Lemon meringue pie. And this week I am making chocolate and vanilla pudding. And I must say....the chocolate tart turned out very well...but the lemon pies crust that I made seemed a bit salty when tasted by itself. (Thanks for pointing that out in front of everyone Kim) But I couldn't disagree because I tasted it too. Come to find out...I added to many Graham cracker crumbs to the crust. (I didn't follow the directions well) (Its a man thing) But I learn from my mistakes.(usually)
I was more worried about the meringue turning out than I was the crust. Looks like every detail counts. (who knew)

I heard a good analogy about cooking the other day...I heard a chef say...recipes are like a map....it will get you to where you want to go but if you want to live a little...go off the map a little bit and do your own thing. Kim also heard this and she said..."See...that's what I do"....and being the sarcastic ass that I am... I said..."Yes honey...but you get lost and never make it to your destination" "You start out going to Maine and end up in California"
I could tell by the look on her face that if I wanted my next meal cooked by her ...I was going to have to wait a loooong time.  Good thing my wife has a sense of humor about her. :)

Sorry for the bad Photos...Kim still hasnt got me my dream camera yet
(hint hint)





No comments: