Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Road Trip


Well...I'm back!!  The trip to Texas was pretty awesome. Taylor and I left about 10:30pm on Jan.1st and drove all the way to Nashville TN. There was NO ONE on the road so the driving was very nice. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express that night. We also went to the Grand Ole Oprey Hotel. What a place that is. I was surprised at how large it was and all the beautiful decorations they had up...it was very cool. (I would post pictures...but Taylor has them all on her camera.) We ate at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville and strolled the very chilly downtown strip back to the Hotel.  We had a good night sleep and left for Texas the next morning....ok afternoon (were not morning people).
We made it Texas right before dusk and ate at the restaurant that was next to the Tex Inn that we  stayed in for the night. I didn't sleep that well because of the numerous shows of Storage Wars on cable TV that just had to watch. But we left in the morning...ok afternoon...on our way down to Austin where we found a scenic route that promised a beautiful drive. Well...they lied...it wasn't that scenic and to be quite honest...a real bore!!!  We spent the night at the nearest Hotel we could find and had Dairy Queen for supper. (Good thing I didn't make any silly new years resolution about eating right) I ask for a large twist when we drove up on the drive thru speaker....and the worker told me that they didn't have that and she had no idea what it was.Huh? You've never heard of a vanilla and chocolate ice cream cone? I thought all D Q's had the same menus. Anyway...we had alot of fun with that one and had a great night with loads of laughs and fun. The next...morning  afternoon we left for San Angelo. I took Taylor to the mall so she could by something that she has 7 crates full of...SHOES.  I did it because she promised that I could pick the restaurant that we would eat at that night. Which again was right next to the hotel. A beautiful Italian restaurant that had the most delicious food imaginable. It was a great last night I got to spend with my daughter. We actually woke up early (In the morning this time) as my flight left at 7am. I hugged my daughter and got a little choked up as I said my goodbye and walked in the airport. 
I know she will be fine and has a good enough head on her shoulders to do well where ever she is in this world. But there is something that pulls at my heart to know that I am no longer needed (in the physical sense)  for her. She will now have to face her fear of driving her car over the "death trap" (as she calls it) to get her oil changed. I guess this is all part of growing up and discovering yourself. Its part of making your claim in this world. As a father, its part of letting go and watching it all take place.And I know in my heart....just like all good movies....it all works out in the end.








2 comments:

She said...

I'm so proud of her and so excited to hear about her adventures. I'm sure it ached for both of you to let go - but this is gonna be *awesome! I'm glad you made it back safely from the roadtrip - I tried to stay updated through mobile upload pix. ;)
love you both!

KS said...

I know that twist ice cream cones wasn't the thesis of this post, but um, I think it's horrendously wrong that more establishments don't serve them. Do you remember when McDonald's served them (and it was real ice cream, not yogurt??). Ahh, the good ol' days.

I love me some twist ice cream, but it's a very rare treat I'm finding. Boooo.

How cool that you got to spend that time with Taylor; I'll be thinking of both of you as you adjust to this stage of life!