Saturday, October 8, 2011

"The Look"

          I know this may come as big surprise to many of you...but...I went grocery shopping last week. I do not know what possessed me to do it...but I did. It may have been that I knew there wasn't much to eat at home and I had a couple hundred dollars in my pocket that was just begging me to be spent. I am by no means a good grocery shopper, or any kind of shopper for that matter. I usually leave all shopping to Kim...and for good reason. My version of grocery shopping is to go down every isle and look for things I like to eat. When I find something I like, I put it in the cart. When I have went down every isle, I usually have to go find a few items that I had forgot which sometimes involves going down every isle again. Uggh...I think I looked for canned mushrooms for 20 minutes, and when I finally found the correct isle (after giving up and asking someone) (I know....its a man thing to get lost and then ask for directions) It still took me 5 minutes to find them under the sign that said "Mushrooms". But in my defense...They weren't under the sign where I was looking...they were like 10 feet down from it.  But hey...What's another 25 minutes when I have already spent 2 hrs getting grocery's for two?
        I felt pretty good when I was finished and on my way home thinking to myself...Kim will be really happy that I did this for her.(I wouldn't tell her I did it for myself...Instead I was going to take the Thank You that she was going to give me like a man)
 I walk in with a both hands full of grocery's and place them on the island in the kitchen. I go back and get another load....this time when I come in...Kim has had time to evaluate some of my purchases. I give her a look (and I know she sees me looking at her to give me her look of approval) However I didn't quite get the look of approval...instead I get the"OMG ...I cant believe you bought chips ...you know I am watching my weight...why would you buy chips" look. I didn't say anything...I just figured it was her saying thank you. :)  When I come back in for the third time, she said it out loud this time....."OMG ...I cant believe you bought chips ...you know I am watching my weight...why would you buy chips" I smiled and said "Don't worry, I will eat them by myself" She just continued to give me that "You Suck at shopping" look. I exchanged it with a "Just shut up and make me something to eat" look.

So I came home from work yesterday, and I find out Kim picked up a few things from the grocery store also. I didn't respond the way she did...meaning, I didn't immediately look to see what she bought so I could cut her down for being such a terrible shopper. (that would be like biting the hand that feeds you) Instead, I just thought to myself that she must have picked up the few items that I might have forgotten.
Later as we hunkered down on the couch to watch a movie...I see Kim get up and open the Freezer.
I was thinking ....Alright !!! Kim is getting us some of that Ice Creme and chocolate that I had bought.
I hope you can understand the extent of my surprise when I heard her ask me... "Do you want a Reece's Peanut butter Cup?" It only took me a nano second to quickly replay MY shopping night in my mind before I came to the conclusion that I didn't buy any Reece's Peanut Butter Cups.
 I saw her glaring at me with that look that said..."just say it and get it over with"
Do I dare tell her what I was thinking? Oh no....I did not say any of the smart aleck comments that I was thinking about saying....Like..."I cant believe you bought candy...you know your watching your weight"  No.... I would never say something like that.
Nor did I say..."Who are you and what did you do with my dieting wife?" I would never say that either.
Instead...I just said what any man taking the high road would say.... "Two Please"



1 comment:

She said...

bahahaha, I can picture all those looks. crackin' me up again, Mr.
if it makes you feel any better - I'm a TERRIBLE shopper. it took me 20 minutes to pick out one potato to fry for breakfast at Tay's last Sunday and when I cut into it... it was a SWEET POTATO!