Sunday, November 4, 2012

Life In A Nutshell

          I remember playing hide and seek, kick the can and a bunch of other kid games at their house while they played cards with my mom and dad. They had a pool table (which was way cool back then) that we would watch them play on and we ourselves played on it when they were not watching. They always had good food to eat and would make sure that we never left hungry. (Shirley was a great cook)
I am writing about my Uncle Max and Aunt Shirley.



       This couple was a perfect match for each other, Shirley was the caregiver and ruler of the roost while Max was the provider and the jester of the house.(at least that's how I saw it) They owned a family Excavating business and now the kids are still running that business today.

        I could write tons of things about each one of them, however the main reason I chose to write about them is because of the strong family they have built.They are a perfect example of the way we should cultivate our children and leave them with our legacy. With Lots of Love and togetherness no matter what life throws at us.
       Aunt Shirley past away a couple years ago from cancer. Her children raise money each year for the Relay for Life events. Did I say "her children"? What I mean to say is ...her entire family...including nephews, nieces, grand children and even great grand children...every one seems to participate in some form or another. But the point is ...they do things together as a family. I love that !!!
      They hosted a bowling fundraiser last night and being the bowling freak that I am...I jumped at the chance to participate. And as you can imagine, the whole family was there. There were my cousins whom I only see (If I'm lucky) once or twice a year, and their kids and yes, even their children's kids, some of which I have never seen before. I was a little overwhelmed with the feeling of Love that was in the air this night. They were there not to just raise money for a great cause, but more so for the love they have for their family. All of which started with Uncle Max and Aunt Shirley. Its just a great example of what takes place when you start with Love and Laughter in your own home. Its contagious and spreads to your children and your children's children.
 Is their anything else that a couple can do to ensure that their children are equipped with the tools necessary to be successful in life? To me, if you can teach them to Love and Laugh, the rest of the things that happen in life will all be taken care of through those two things. And as we grow older we can see the evidence of that. Love conquers all !!!!

It was really great to spend some time with Uncle Max, and even though his health has caused him to lose some things such as his eyesight and memory....there was still evidence of the love and humor that I have always adored in him. And it started right off the bat.

Me: Hi Max
Max: Who are you?
Me: This is Ian
Max: Its been so long since Ive seen you....I cant see you.

Oh how I love this man !!!

 

No comments: