Monday, September 17, 2012

Luck Be A Blessing


I was traveling home one evening when I saw this house that had everything that used to be in it thrown in a huge pile by the side of the road. I was shocked by the mere size of this pile of stuff.
My thoughts quickly went from "look at all that stuff" to I wonder what he did that his wife would throw all his stuff out like that" :) But then I realised that it wasn't all "his" stuff...it was everything. It looked like they were being evicted or was foreclosed on their home. Either way...I felt so sorry for this whomever it was having this done to them. Being homeless has to just SUCK. I wish I knew exactly what had happened or who it was so I could offer help.

I also saw the show "What Would You Do" the other night. They took a homeless (actor) person and had a woman take them into a restaurant / bar and sat them down at the bar along next to some other individuals and gave them twenty dollars to get something to eat. The bartender (also a actor) was to not serve him, ridicule him a bit and then take the twenty dollars from him and tell him he had to leave. I was shocked by the responses from the people sitting close by. Most was a good shock feeling. There was a couple of prudy ladies who said that he stunk and wanted him removed from the place. But most were defending him and was getting very hostile towards the bartender who was asking him to leave. One was even going to call the police. But the one that brought me to tears was this very older gentlemen. He was the one who gave the guy some money even before he even entered the restaurant. He defended this homeless actor right from the get-go. I was so impressed with this man I wanted to hug him. He was polite to the bartender while he was explaining to him how he too had been down on his luck before and needed help. And paying it forward is a good thing to do. (I'm telling ya... this guy is my idol) He even said that "if that mans (referring to the homeless actor) money wasn't good enough here than his wasn't either".

We have all been down on our luck before at sometime in our life....and just knowing that there is so many people out there that understand this ....is very inspiring to me. Most of us have family or friends that would pick us up if we were ever down on our luck. But there are people out there that have no one. No Friends in high places...no family around that could or would even help them. They are alone. Alone.... to survive on their own. Celebrate their Birthday alone...Christmas alone ....everything is done alone. To climb out of this hole that they are in (whether it is self inflicted or not)  is a monumental task. A minimum paying job (although a start) is not going to get them a house in the near future. They will still spend some of their nights alone and hungry at times.

I am thankful for the friends and family that I do have. Not because I know that they would lend their money to me to help me....but mainly because I would be alone with out them And although being homeless would suck....not having Friends and Family would SUCK even worse.

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more.



 

1 comment:

M Hart said...

Ian, this is, as all of your blogs are, very special. So many empty houses.